I sell on Tindie

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Buildroot qq2440 again

This is complete manual how to build filesystem for qq2440 (s3c2440 or mini2440) - last version.

Download last buildroot snapshot from snapshots.
Don't use release - it has a problems.
Unpack it to some directory

#tar -xvjf buildroot-xxx.tar.bz2

#cd buildroot

#make menuconfig

Now select:
Target architecture (arm)
Target architecture variant (arm920t)
Target ABI (EABI)

Toolchain:
[*] Enable large file (2GB) support
[*] Enable IPV6
[*] Enable RPC
[*] Enable toolchain locale/i18n support
[*] Use software floating point by default
[*] Build/install c++ compiler
Leave other toolchain options unchanged

Target filesystem options:
[*] tar the root filesystem
Compression method (bzip2)

Exit, save

#make

Resulting filesystem exists in buildroot/binaries/uclibc/rootfs.arm.tar.bz2
You can unpack it and mount as NFS filesystem.

In Package selection for the target select desired packages. Not everything will build. I have succesfully built : links, e2ffsprogs, usbutils, alsa-lib, alsa-utils, mpg123, dialog, directfb with samples, SDL, Qt embedded


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for these information, i build an image with success. Is there any way to build also the kernel with the buildroot? I am used to AVR32 buildroot that i have "make linux26-menuconfig" for selecting driver options etc.

Victor said...

Last option in buildroot menu is "kernel". By default it is not selected. Select it and explore what happens :) I have no experience with this option.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I have the same board and am getting the following error when i build using your instructions.

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I am using the 2.6.29 kernel that came with the board, eabi and support for old eabi is enabled in the kernel. I used mknod to create console, null, and ttySAC0

any suggestions?

Victor said...

Check that you using buildroot snapshot and not release. If you using uboot - check your bootargs. And you shouldn't use mknod - buildroot creates all entries in /dev.

Unknown said...

Hi Delvar,

I did a make clean and re-built using the internal toolchain and that appears to work (so far). Have you had any luck using an external glibc toolchain?

If you could reply to my email joshuazarr AT gmail dot com i would much appreciate your help

Thanks

Victor said...

I written about it - look here http://crazy-embedder.blogspot.com/2009/02/building-root-filesystem-for-qq2440.html

Max Galemin said...

Hi,

I'm trying to configure sound on my Mini2440 (kernel 2.6.31 from Buserror and buildroot 2009.08) but I can't hear anything in my headphones (for example from this command 'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp'). Did you have such problems? Did you have /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer devices in you rootfs after compiling it using buildroot? Thanks.

Victor said...

I haven't check sound in buildroot system. And I don't have /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. Sorry

Anonymous said...

Howdy,
I managed to get buildroot 09-11 running without snapshot use. I have to figure out to get the sound working. And directfb doesn't run.

Regards.
Jerry

Sérgio Gonçalves said...

Hi Delavar,
Can you tell me what is the most recent version of Buildroot you're using without problems?
I tried to use recent snapshots, but I'm experimenting an error while it is compiling uClib.

Best regards,
Sérgio

Victor said...

Hi Sergio.
My most recently compiled snapshot 20010218. I have compiled SDL, qtopia and even xorg

Sérgio Gonçalves said...

Hi Delavar,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I think you meant snapshot 20100218.

Best regards,
Sérgio

Victor said...

Sure :) 20100218

Sérgio Gonçalves said...

Buildroot doens't work in Ubuntu9.10
If somebody uses Ubuntu must use 9.04 or older.

Victor said...

I compiled it in 9.10 (Carmic). Everything works like a charm.

Anonymous said...

hello...
thank you for the post.
I had build file system but I wanted to know how to get graphical display on mini2440. I am only getting a console base LCD. Through console if i try to invoke graphical apps I am getting an error: cant open display. what should I do...?